18.4.09

If My Child Does Not Pass the GATE Test, Then What?

I have a question and I'm hoping you can help me. My son took the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) test this past February he is in 2nd grade. He was referred by his teacher. I received a letter last week saying that he was not going to be admitted to the GATE program and if I wanted to see or discuss the results to please make an appointment with the principal. I had been having a bit of a problem getting an appointment with the school, however it looks like this coming week I'll be meeting up with the GATE program coordinator. I was wondering what kinds of questions should I ask and what can I do? Can I have my son re-test and if I do it outside of the school would those results be considered? Please advise.
My Answer:
Do not worry about a list of questions. Simply ask for a thorough description of his results. You can ask if he was close to qualifying. If he was not close, and they should show you his score along with the score that would have qualified for GATE, then do not worry about retesting at this time. It is not a sign that your son will not do well in school and he is not missing out on anything. He just didn't qualify for this type of classroom.
If he is close, you can ask if there is a way to retest or ask the coordinator about outside testing. Districts sometimes have lists of people for you to consider. Again, if he was not close, I would not recommend this.
Do not leave disappointed if your son did not qualify or feel like it is a statement about his future in school. He will somehow know he did not "get" something you wanted for him, but there is nothing he could have done. It is a small check into him as a student. One day and one test will not determine if he is successful.
Do not make it your mission to get him into a program he is not ready for yet. You can ask the coordinator when the district retests kids. Often, they retest after a year has passed, so when your son is in fourth grade. This gives the kids a break and helps.
Remember: he can get into honors classes in high school, AP classes and all the best colleges without GATE. GATE is under the umbrella of special education and it is there to catch students who display a need for a different type of classroom with a different delivery. Not all students qualify because not all students need this. Your son may be suited to perform well, or better than that, in the average classroom. That does not make him average, it just means he will perform in a standard classroom.
It is all in how you look at it.
Contact the writer by visiting her website at http://www.goasktheteacher.com or email her directly at goasktheteacher@yahoo.com

No comments:

Educating in the Digital Age

I am a successful teacher, and I have been writing an educational advice column for the OC Register for four years. I am here if you need me. Post a question or use this page to find websites for Preschoolers, Elementary Kids, Junior High, and High School Students, Parents, and Teachers. I'll keep working on this site. Please use it and pass it to others who might find it helpful. If we work together, we can help one another, tutor each other's children, provide resources, steer each other to paths that are out there for all children.